Arthritis is a common condition which the elderly population faces. The pain in the joints can pose a lot of trouble for the patients. But that doesn’t mean that you have to live with that pain all your life. The condition can be managed by incorporating changes in your lifestyle. Making small changes in your lifestyle can make a big difference to your health. Of course, you need to take proper arthritis treatment along with these tips.
As we all know, maintaining a healthy weight is a prerequisite for good health as obesity often attracts many health conditions, so the key to managing your arthritis is managing your weight. If you are nearly the ideal weight according to your age and gender, you will not suffer from wear and tear, stiffness and inflammation of the joints.
So take a look at what you can do to manage your painful joints-
- Get physically active –This is the golden rule for every individual seeking health. Regular exercise will reduce the stiffness and pain in their joints.
- Eat mindfully- Yes, eating a balanced diet will take you a long way. Ensure that you consume a lot of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Your snacks should be low fat and low calorie. Cut on sugar and oil.
- See your C content – Doctors recommend getting vitamin C in the appropriate amount to avoid inflammation in the body. Orange, lemon, grapefruit-take your pick from any of these.
- Track your weight –Ask the doctor about what your healthy weight should be. If you are far away from it, focus on achieving it through exercise. Keep going till you attain it. Don’t stop after attaining it as you will need to maintain it.
- Stay away from hard drinks –Yes, alcohol is an absolute no-no. If you use alcohol to mage pain, it will not be a very wise step as it only adds empty calories.
Combat the Stress
Arthritis could make you feel depressed and stressed out. You can escape the stress by doing the following things-
- Take a vacation every now and then so that you can feel relaxed.
- Be expressive, write out your feelings in blogs, journals, or a diary.
- Become more spiritually aware by joining a spiritually supportive group.
- Take enough rest.
- Meditate to keep yourself calm.
- Spend quality time with…above all yourself. Enjoy a few quiet moments in which you can reflect on yourself.
Tools for Arthritis Management.
There are certain aids which are really helpful to people in such condition. They help in gripping, reaching, and pulling the objects-
- Reachers – Use these long rods with handles to reach and grasp items on the floor or any other level.
- Get door handles installed-Lever type handles which don’t need to be gripped and turned, are convenient for arthritis patients.
- Choose Velcro for Clothes – Instead of buttons, use Velcro for closing your dresses. Ease of operation comes with it.