A leg cramp is the painful condition of muscles as it is the sudden and uncontrolled contraction of leg muscle. It is also known as the charley horse and it mainly occurs in the lower extremity. This painful condition occurs when muscles are suddenly and forcefully contracted.
Leg cramps generally happen in the muscles that cross the two joints like calf crossing the ankle and knee, hamstring muscle crossing knee and hip and the quadriceps muscle crossing knee and hip. This condition of contraction of muscles lasts less than a minute. Leg cams usually happen at night and become extremely painful that can awaken the person from sleep.
Leg Cramps Can Happen Due To Following Reasons Like
- Muscle fatigue
- Excessive and heavy exercises
- Muscles weakening
- Early pregnancy
- Electrolyte imbalance
Treatment tips for leg cramps
Following are some effective tips given by the experts to treat the leg crams
- Massage of cramped muscle
- Cold therapy means cooling the skin with a cold and moist cloth
- More fluid consumption
All above techniques can solve your problem in great extent but if the cramping is severe then you must see the ortho doctor as a doctor can prescribe you some painkillers and can even suggest some muscle exercises to get rid of cramping.
Prevention Tips For Leg Cramping
Prevention is better than cure so it is wise to prevent the painful condition like cramping rather than asking for the treatment. Following are some effective ways that can reduce the risk of cramping
- Staying hydrated is the best tip to reduce the risk of contraction of muscles as dehydration can predispose to leg cramps so it is good to drink plenty of water including one before the bedtime. Even you must drink full glasses of water before, after and during the exercises.
- Stretching on regular basis can also reduce the risk of cramping as stretching can relax the muscle fibers so it is advisable to do some post-workout stretching exercises for the relaxation of muscles but it should be done under the monitoring of some professionals otherwise can lead to some worse effects.
- Gradual training or exercising can avoid the sudden contraction of muscles but over exercise or training can have bad effects so always go for exercise as per the advice of your doctor, gym trainer or physiotherapist.