Lets first start with knowing what a hip replacement is, in simple terms. It means a surgery in which a doctor removes a painful hip joint with arthritis and then replaces it with an artificial one made out of metal and plastic combined together. It is mostly done when all other treatments have failed to give adequate pain relief. In case you have planned to get your surgery in Ludhiana, you are right in your decision because of the best orthopaedic surgeon in Ludhiana.
Some tips to guide you better on this:
- Signs You Are Ready For Hip Replacement
A rule of thumb states that replacement surgery is indicative only when a hip problem is, to a great extent reducing your quality of life and also restricting your ability to perform everyday tasks that other people of your age group can do.
In case you experience any of the following, then it is time to get a hip replacement done:
- Because of this unbearable pain, you keep awake at night.
- The pain restricts you from getting up from the chair, climb stairs or go in the car.
- The pain makes it least possible for you to do the activities, which once you loved doing, like swimming, walking or shopping.
- You have tried other alternative methods but to no avail.
No doubt, these factors are important, but still, they are not the ones, with which you can suddenly decide to have a surgery. Going through a surgery is not a joke. You and your doctor would need to examine how well you can tolerate the surgery; the doctor will first see your age, bone density, overall health, and many other things. Hip replacement in India is done with utmost care.
- Signs that you are not prepared for surgery
Deciding the time of surgery is as important as deciding when to go for it. Look at these considerations and then make up your mind:
- Your hip pain may slow your speed of working, but it will certainly not limit your normal activities.
- You can get relief from less invasive treatment, like medications or any alternative therapy.
- You may not have tried your hand at alternative things.
- You can still do things like walking, and shopping, even if you cannot do more stressful activities, like bowling, skiing, or running.
People who fulfill all these conditions are mostly advised to look for more conservative, non- surgical treatments like physical therapy, ambulatory aids, pain relief medicines and rest.
One of the important aspects of arthritic hip pain is that symptoms tend to either increase or decrease, depending on severity. While the pain can be severe, the decision to have a joint replacement should not be based on occasional blow-up but on persistent pain which causes significant disability and fails to respond to alternative methods.